Emergency Dental Care in Santa Clara
Same-day emergency treatment
Our office gives top priority to emergency appointments. We understand that dental emergencies are not only unexpected, but can also lead to more serious conditions if not treated promptly.
Our emergency procedure
The following is a general outline of what you can expect during your emergency visit:
- Dr. Jayne will listen to you carefully and conduct an examination that is focused on the immediate problem in order to assess the status of your emergency.
- X-rays are frequently taken to view the tooth (or teeth) and roots.
- Dr. Jayne will prescribe medication to alleviate severe pain.
- She will answer all your questions, offer solutions and schedule a follow-up appointment.
Tips for dental emergencies
Here are some tips for common dental emergencies:
- If an object is stuck in the mouth, attempt to remove it gently with floss, but never use sharp or pointed instruments to try to remove it.
- If a permanent tooth is knocked out, keep it moist at all times. If you can, try to place the tooth back in the socket without touching the root. If that’s not possible, place it between your cheek and gums, in milk, or use a tooth preservation product that has the ADA Seal of Acceptance. Be sure to get to your dentist’s office immediately.
- If you bite your lip or tongue, gently clean the area with water and apply a cold compress.
- For a cracked tooth, immediately rinse the mouth with warm water to clean the area. Apply cold compresses to the face to minimize swelling.
- If you have a toothache, clean your mouth by rinsing with warm water. Gently use dental floss to remove any food caught between the teeth. Do not place aspirin on the aching tooth or gum tissues.
Simple precautions you can take to avoid accident and injury to the teeth:
- Wear a mouth guard when participating in sports or recreational activities.
- Use scissors, NEVER your teeth, to cut things.
- Avoid chewing ice, popcorn kernels and hard candy, all of which can crack a tooth.
To make an appointment, call 669-201-0334 or click here to request an appointment online.